Mold Exposure Symptoms: What You Need to Know
Mold is a type of fungus that can grow in slightly damp homes. This fungus grows in materials, such as fiberboard, wood, or gypsum board, and sadly most homes have these materials. Being exposed to this type of fungus is not good for you, and you need to address the problem as soon as you can.
Symptoms Linked to MoldThe first thing you should know is that mold is not dangerous on its own. What is dangerous are the toxins that mold can emit that can cause allergies, which is part of the reason you need to get rid of it as soon as possible. Mold isn't always visible, so you may be inhaling it unknowingly. Most of the symptoms you might feel won't feel much different than a flu or cold. You might experience coughing, wheezing, runny nose, and other flu or cold-like symptoms. High levels of mold toxin exposure could lead to light sensitivity and memory loss.
What Can You Do After Being Exposed?Once you are exposed to mold toxins, you are going to have to take steps to recover, and you can. For example, you can take antihistamines, which is an over-the-counter solution. You can also use decongestants if you are experiencing migraines and your nose is stuffed up. You may need to go through immunotherapy after mold toxin exposure because your immune system has suffered a setback, and that could put you at risk of other infections. Remember that these suggestions are just meant to help deal with the symptoms, but they will continue to resurface if you do not have it removed wherever it is. Have a home inspector figure this out for you so that you can take the next step. If the mold is found in your AC system, then you can have an HVAC specialist remove the mold.
How to Prevent Mold?
One of the most important steps to take is to talk to the professionals, who can inspect the areas where mold can grow, like an HVAC professional, plumber, or a home inspector. Make sure you set up a schedule so a specialist can come and inspect areas where mold can be. Mold can be detected before it becomes a bigger problem, so having your HVAC system, plumbing, and your walls checked regularly is a good idea. You want to concentrate on areas where mold is likely to develop, such as the laundry room, bathroom, and the AC system due to the amount of moisture in there. It may be a good idea to talk to an HVAC professional about using a dehumidifier, which is a machine which helps control the moisture in your home that can prevent this issue from developing.
Hopefully, these points make it easier for you to know what to do should you be exposed to mold. You are not powerless, and you can prevent this issue from affecting your family, so don't wait too long to take action. Give us a call at (847) 469-1794 to see how Cahill Heating, Air Conditioning & Electric can help.