6 Warning Signs of Faulty Electrical Wiring in Your Home

GET IN TOUCH

6 Warning Signs of Faulty Electrical Wiring in Your Home

6 Warning Signs of Faulty Electrical Wiring in Your Home

There are many reasons why you’d experience an electrical fault in your home. Some wiring faults may not be life-threatening, while others can be risky to the environment. This is why you need to be careful and watch out for any electrical fault and call an electrician immediately. Here are common signs that your wiring system is faulty.

Electric Shocks

An electric shock is among the most common signs of faulty wiring in most homes. When you touch an electric connection such as sockets and switches and experience a jolted or electrified feeling, this is a clear sign of an electric shock. The connection may also produce a fizzing or buzzing sound between the wires. This shows that there is a problem with the connection that needs an urgent fix.

Damaged Wiring

If you notice damages within your electric wiring, never assume that it could be minor damage. It could be a serious thing that needs urgent attention. Check if wires have frayed ends or visible marks similar to bites. Pests could have caused this. It would be best to call your electrician to inspect the wiring and fix the issue. If left unattended, the damages may increase, and this exposes you to a higher electrical risk.

Flickering Lights

Flickering lights are also a common sign of faulty wiring. They happen because of incompatible and low-quality wiring, old and faulty connections. If you notice a sudden change in your bulbs, know that something is wrong with the wiring. Change the bulbs and see if it works. If it doesn’t work, call a professional immediately to inspect and determine the leading cause of the flickering lights.

Discolored Sockets

When your sockets start becoming discolored over time, know that something is wrong with your wiring. The heat becomes intense, causing the sockets to discolor and burn in the long run. Sometimes, you may feel too much heat from the outlet that could also come with a smell. As the outlet heats further, it causes more damages that could be a hazard.

Fusing and Tripping Circuit Breaker

If you notice tripping of the circuit breaker, know that the system is faulty. A circuit breaker trips when overloaded with appliances. This is why you need robust wiring to prevent frequent tripping of the circuit breaker. Call your electrician to inspect the system and determine the best wiring.

Burning Odors

A burning smell within your electrical system shows there is a fault. This happens when the cables overheat, and the protective sheath begins to melt. When the heat intensifies, the sheath melts further, exposing the wiring to each other. This can cause fires and short circuits, leading to severe injuries and property damages. Never ignore this sign for long. Take immediate action to fix the issue before it is too late.

Contact Us Today

It is crucial to keep a close eye on your electrical system no matter how busy you are. This will save you from costly repairs and replacements and keep your household safe from severe injuries and other fatal experiences. If you notice any of the above problems in your home, contact the professionals at Cahill Heating, Air Conditioning, and Electric today.

 
Have any questions regarding one of our articles? Contact Cahill Heating, Air Conditioning, & Electric at (847) 367-4492 or use our online form to schedule your next appointment!